Friday, February 8, 2008

Buckley


I'm not really a dog person. They're smelly and drooly and hairy and sheddy and all over yucky-filled. I actually kinda hate all dogs... all dogs except my own.

Brody has been gone for one week, and I missed him so much. When Booker dropped his hot dogs on the floor, they just remained there... uneaten. When I vacuumed, I didn't have to worry about Brody whining. At night, I had trouble falling asleep without the sound of Brody breathing. Every little thing reminded me of Brody's absence. It was so lonesome without him.

So I spent the week scouring pets classifieds and Craigslist for the perfect puppy. Our criteria- big, cheap and young. Which was hard to fulfill, it turns out. People ask for a ton of money for their dogs. Finally a listing came up that was promising...



So here's Buckley, half Akita and half Golden Retriever. The last to be picked from a litter of ten. He's 9 weeks and already as big and heavy as Booker. He's gonna be huge. So far, he's really mellow and affectionate. He's young enough that we hope to train him to act like a dog, and not like a human.

He's named for Ari & Uzi's ill-fated beagle in The Royal Tenenbaums, which was (according to Wikipedia) Wes Anderson's tribute to singer/songwriter, Jeff Buckley. So in closing, I'll encourage you all to go listen to Jeff Buckley as he sings Hallelujah because, well, to be honest, it made me cry really hard.

3 comments:

Petra said...

I can't believe you have the energy to take on a puppy! But he sure is cute.

Spence said...

That dog is ENORMOUS for 9 weeks. I don't even think Brody's old kennel will be big enough once he grows up. I think you'll have to invest in an XL!

the coltons said...

i LOVE that song! totally made me cry too - why in the world is that? :)