Thursday, October 11, 2007

My Gospel ABC's

Ever since I entered Relief Society 5 years ago, I've held the slightly irrational belief that the measure of a "good" LDS woman is directly related to her scrapbooking abilities. Only those who attend weekly scrapbooking clubs, document their child's first poopy diaper in a cute little album and own tons of fancy paper, buttons, stickers, ribbons, stencils, cut-outs (the list goes on and on) will make it into the Celestial Kingdom. I always felt my creative skills would never measure up so I really never got into it, even though I secretly wished I would. I knew it was something I would thoroughly enjoy but didn't want to compete with the pros so I never tried. That is, until last weekend.

I always need a little project to keep me focused as I watch Conference. If I don't have something to do with my hands I always end up either falling asleep or cleaning the house with the TV turned up loud. So on Saturday night, while Clark was at the Priesthood session, I went out to Michael's to get the supplies I needed to make something. I ended up spending two hours walking up and down the same three aisles. I was completely overwhelmed with all the choices and I almost backed out, feeling like whatever I made would never be "cute" enough. I came home with a small 6x6 album, several sheets of paper, glue and some ABC stickers.

What resulted after several hours of cutting up Ensigns is... well, something I'm actually quite proud of- Booker's Gospel ABC's. Its not perfect- the lines aren't quite straight and I'm sure there a typo somewhere. But I don't care. I like it and I think Booker likes it too. Of course, he won't appreciate it for a few more years. But there are a couple of pages he really likes- D is for Daddy, with a picture of Clark. M is for Mommy- with one of me. F for Family and G for Grandparents are popular too. His favorite, however is Y is for YOU because I pasted a little mirror on it.

I liked my venture into the world of scrapbooking, but I think I'll stick to my digital stuff. I can always get my edges perfectly lined up and there's no pesky glue involved. And on top of it all, its MUCH much cheaper. In fact, I think I'll make a digital version in case I'm ever called to an Enrichment Committee or to simply give to Booker's cousins.

Anyways, here are a few of my favorite pages.



4 comments:

Petra said...

I wouldn't be surprised if you were translated for this within the week.

Cassie said...

That really is an awesome idea. Great for him to read at church. I'm always trying to find churchy activities for when Lexi's older.

KrumperKids said...

You are so impressive. If you do a digital version, let me know, because these cousins would love it (even the older ones!)

Anonymous said...

Hi Marg,
I have tried this before but I can't seem to get it to work. I love this little book. I love the baptism page and I love the picture of Tom and I too. Thanks for finding that one. It is a sweet book. Good Job