Sunday, March 16, 2008

Tucson

When Clark and I were dating, I told him that I didn't want to settle in Arizona ever. I would do my three years time while he was in law school, but that was it. I was raised overseas, I just assumed that obviously my children would be as well. And if not overseas, then at least the east coast or something similar.

Now that my three years are drawing to a close, I'm definitely singing a different tune. I think there's something to be said of having a place to call home. And I'd be quite happy to call my home Arizona, if Arizona will have me. Its actually not all that different from the deserts I grew up in.

Anyways, with graduation on the horizon, there are three options we are considering for the Fall: Phoenix, Prescott and Tucson. Clark interviewed with an IP firm in Tucson a few weeks ago and things went so well that they invited us back to get a better feel for the firm and city.

So this weekend was a Booker-free vacation for Clark and I- many, many thanks to the Dunyon family for watching him. I'm pretty sure Booker didn't even notice that we were gone. He loves his cousins (and their cool new toys) so much. The firm put us up at the most beautiful resort/hotel. It had its very own waterfall and koi pond and there was even a TV in the bathroom!


Here's the view from our balcony... lots of golf courses in Tucson. We had lunch at El Charro Cafe, a Tucson establishment. We viewed a few neighborhoods and shopping areas. Then we met for dinner with one of the firm's associates at a very, very nice restaurant. I had my first ever amuse-bouche and Clark was well-behaved enough to refrain from making lame jokes about being amused by bouche or whatever he had in mind. Well done, darling.

This is an unrelated but cool side note- I ran into my senior prom date's mother at the restaurant. She was visiting from Belmont, MA for her niece's wedding. It was the CRAZIEST thing. She even remembered my first name. I was so impressed. What a small world.

Anyways, it was really nice to have dinner with this particular couple for a few reasons. They are LDS and are expecting their 6th child around the same time we are expecting our second. They seem to be living proof that the firm would be family friendly- with six kids he still manages to leave work early sometimes to coach tee ball. They were a wealth of information when it comes to good neighborhoods, places to eat, things to do, good schools, etc. In fact, they pointed us toward a neighborhood in North Tucson that would be a half hour drive to the office for Clark and an hour and a half drive to Mesa (for me :) Not bad.

Here's the sunset as seen from the restaurant. Aside from being informative, they were such great company. I wasn't too excited about our Tucson option at first, but now I am. We'll see what happens.

No comments: